Definition and Meanings for little
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Little is ranked 846 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of little
adjective, noun, adverb
Etymology of little
Meaning of little
- small in size or extent; not big; diminutive; -- opposed to big or large; as, a little body; a little animal; a little piece of ground; a little hill; a little distance; a little child.
- short in duration; brief; as, a little sleep.
- small in quantity or amount; not much; as, a little food; a little air or water.
- small in dignity, power, or importance; not great; insignificant; contemptible.
- small in force or efficiency; not strong; weak; slight; inconsiderable; as, little attention or exertion;little effort; little care or diligence.
- small in extent of views or sympathies; narrow; shallow; contracted; mean; illiberal; ungenerous.
- that which is little; a small quantity, amount, space, or the like.
- a small degree or scale; miniature.
- in a small quantity or degree; not much; slightly; somewhat; -- often with a preceding it.