Definition and Meanings for love
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Love is ranked 579 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of love
noun, transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, intransitive verb
Etymology of love
Meaning of love
- a feeling of strong attachment induced by that which delights or commands admiration; preas, the love of brothers and sisters.
- especially, devoted attachment to, or tender or passionate affection for, one of the opposite sex.
- courtship; -- chiefly in the phrase to make love, i. e., to court, to woo, to solicit union in marriage.
- affection; kind feeling; friendship; strong liking or desire; fondness; good will; -- opposed to hate; often with of and an object.
- due gratitude and reverence to god.
- the object of affection; -- often employed in endearing address; as, he held his love in his arms; his greatest love was reading.
- cupid, the god of love; sometimes, venus.
- a thin silk stuff.
- a climbing species of clematis (clematis vitalba).
- nothing; no points scored on one side; -- used in counting score at tennis, etc.
- sexual intercourse; -- a euphemism.
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, noun
- to have a feeling of love for; to regard with affection or good will; as, to love one's children and friends; to love one's country; to love one's god.
- to regard with passionate and devoted affection, as that of one sex for the other.
- to take delight or pleasure in; to have a strong liking or desire for, or interest in; to be pleased with; to like; as, to love books; to love adventures.
as intransitive verb
- to have the feeling of love; to be in love.