Definition and Meanings for maroon
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Maroon is ranked 38,385 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of maroon
noun, transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, adjective
Etymology of maroon
Meaning of maroon
- in the west indies and guiana, a fugitive slave, or a free negro, living in the mountains.
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to put (a person) ashore on a desolate island or coast and leave him to his fate.
- having the color called maroon. see 4th maroon.
- a brownish or dull red of any description, esp. of a scarlet cast rather than approaching crimson or purple.
- an explosive shell. see marron, 3.