Definition and Meanings for may
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
May is ranked 119 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of may
verb, imperfect, noun
Etymology of may
Meaning of may
as verb, imperfect
- an auxiliary verb qualifying the meaning of another verb,;ability, competency, or possibility; -- now oftener expressed by can.
- liberty; permission; allowance.
- contingency or liability; possibility or probability.
- modesty, courtesy, or concession, or a desire to soften a question or remark.
- desire or wish, as in prayer, imprecation, benediction, and the like.
- a maiden.
- the fifth month of the year, containing thirty-one days.
- the early part or springtime of life.
- the flowers of the hawthorn; -- so called from their time of blossoming; also, the hawthorn.
- the merrymaking of may day.