Definition and Meanings for office
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Office is ranked 341 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of office
noun, transitive verb
Etymology of office
Meaning of office
- that which a person does, either voluntarily or by appointment, for, or with reference to, others; customary duty, or a duty that arises from the relations of man to man; as, kind offices, pious offices.
- a special duty, trust, charge, or position, conferred by authority and for a public purpose; a position of trust or authority; as, an executive or judical office; a municipal office.
- a charge or trust, of a sacred nature, conferred by god himself; as, the office of a priest under the old dispensation, and that of the apostles in the new.
- that which is performed, intended, or assigned to be done, by a particular thing, or that which anything is fitted to perform; a function; -- answering to duty in intelligent beings.
- the place where any kind of business or service for others is transacted; a building, suite of rooms, or room in which public officers or workers in any organization transact business; as, the register's office; a lawyer's office; the doctor's office; the mayor's office.
- the company or corporation, or persons collectively, whose place of business is in an office; as, i have notified the office.
- the apartments or outhouses in which the domestics discharge the duties attached to the service of a house, as kitchens, pantries, stables, etc.
- any service other than that of ordination and the mass; any prescribed religious service.
as transitive verb
- to perform, as the duties of an office; to discharge.