Definition and Meanings for operative
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Operative is ranked 10,550 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of operative
Etymology of operative
Meaning of operative
- having the power of acting; hence, exerting force, physical or moral; active in the production of effects; as, an operative motive; operative laws.
- producing the appropriate or designed effect; efficacious; effective; as, an operative dose, rule, or penalty.
- based upon, or consisting of, an operation or operations; as, operative surgery.
- a skilled worker; an artisan; esp., one who operates a machine in a mill or manufactory.
- one who acts as an agent of another, especially a detective or spy.