Definition and Meanings for oppose
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Oppose is ranked 1,955 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of oppose
transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, noun, intransitive verb
Etymology of oppose
Meaning of oppose
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, noun
- to place in front of, or over against; to set opposite; to exhibit.
- to put in opposition, with a view to counterbalance or countervail; to set against; to offer antagonistically.
- to resist or antagonize by physical means, or by arguments, etc.; to contend against; to confront; to resist; to withstand; as, to oppose the king in battle; to oppose a bill in congress.
- to compete with; to strive against; as, to oppose a rival for a prize.
as intransitive verb
- to be set opposite.
- to act adversely or in opposition; -- with against or to; as, a servant opposed against the act.
- to make objection or opposition in controversy.