Definition and Meanings for opposite
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Opposite is ranked 14,265 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of opposite
Etymology of opposite
Meaning of opposite
- placed over against; standing or situated over against or in front; facing; -- often with to; as, a house opposite to the exchange; the concert hall and the state theater stood opposite each other on the plaza.
- situated on the other end of an imaginary line passing through or near the middle of an intervening space or object; -- of one object with respect to another; as, the office is on the opposite side of town; -- also used both to describe two objects with respect to each other; as, the stores were on opposite ends of the mall.
- applied to the other of two things which are entirely different; other; as, the opposite sex; the opposite extreme; antonyms have opposite meanings.
- extremely different; inconsistent; contrary; repugnant; antagonistic.
- set over against each other, but separated by the whole diameter of the stem, as two leaves at the same node.;placed directly in front of another part or organ, as a stamen which stands before a petal.
- one who opposes; an opponent; an antagonist.
- that which is opposed or contrary in character or meaning; as, sweetness and its opposite; up is the opposite of down.