Definition and Meanings for pant
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Pant is ranked 9,974 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of pant
intransitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, transitive verb, noun, adjective
Etymology of pant
Meaning of pant
as intransitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to breathe quickly or in a labored manner, as after exertion or from eagerness or excitement; to respire with heaving of the breast; to gasp.
- to long eagerly; to desire earnestly; -- often used with for or after.
- to beat with unnatural violence or rapidity; to palpitate, or throb; -- said of the heart.
- to sigh; to flutter; to languish.
as transitive verb
- to breathe forth quickly or in a labored manner; to gasp out.
- to long for; to be eager after.
- a quick breathing; a catching of the breath; a gasp.
- a violent palpitation of the heart.
- a single leg of a pair of pants. see pants.
- of or pertaining to pants.