Definition and Meanings for patronage
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Patronage is ranked 10,299 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of patronage
noun, transitive verb
Etymology of patronage
Meaning of patronage
- special countenance or support; favor, encouragement, or aid, afforded to a person or a work; as, the patronage of letters; patronage given to an author.
- business custom.
- guardianship, as of a saint; tutelary care.
- the right of nomination to political office; also, the offices, contracts, honors, etc., which a public officer may bestow by favor.
- the right of presentation to church or ecclesiastical benefice; advowson.
as transitive verb
- to act as a patron of; to maintain; to defend.