Definition and Meanings for preening
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Preening is ranked 20,197 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of preening
noun, transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, intransitive verb
Etymology of preening
Meaning of preening
- a forked tool used by clothiers in dressing cloth.
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, noun
- to dress with, or as with, a preen; to trim or dress with the beak, as the feathers; -- said of birds.
- to trim up, as trees.
- to dress (oneself) carefully or stylishly; to primp.
- to pride (oneself) on one's accomplishments; to congratulate (oneself).
as intransitive verb
- to dress up neatly and smartly; to make oneself well-groomed and well-dressed.
- to feel proud of one's achievement; to swell or gloat.