Definition and Meanings for pretty
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Pretty is ranked 51,392 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of pretty
adjective, comparative, superlative, adverb
Etymology of pretty
Meaning of pretty
as adjective, comparative, superlative
- pleasing by delicacy or grace; attracting, but not striking or impressing; of a pleasing and attractive form a color; having slight or diminutive beauty; neat or elegant without elevation or grandeur; pleasingly, but not grandly, conceived or expressed; as, a pretty face; a pretty flower; a pretty poem.
- moderately large; considerable; as, he had saved a pretty fortune.
- affectedly nice; foppish; -- used in an ill sense.
- mean; despicable; contemptible; -- used ironically; as, a pretty trick; a pretty fellow.
- stout; strong and brave; intrepid; valiant.
- in some degree; moderately; considerably; rather; almost; -- less emphatic than very; as, i am pretty sure of the fact; pretty cold weather.