Definition and Meanings for primary
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Primary is ranked 3,890 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of primary
Etymology of primary
Meaning of primary
as adjective, adjective
- first in order of time or development or in intention; primitive; fundamental; original.
- first in order, as being preparatory to something higher; as, primary assemblies; primary schools.
- first in dignity or importance; chief; principal; as, primary planets; a matter of primary importance.
- earliest formed; fundamental.
- illustrating, possessing, or characterized by, some quality or property in the first degree; having undergone the first stage of substitution or replacement.
- that which stands first in order, rank, or importance; a chief matter.
- a primary meeting; a caucus.
- one of the large feathers on the distal joint of a bird's wing. see plumage, and illust. of bird.
- a primary planet; the brighter component of a double star. see under planet.