Definition and Meanings for pronounce
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Pronounce is ranked 5,392 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of pronounce
transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, intransitive verb, noun
Etymology of pronounce
Meaning of pronounce
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to utter articulately; to speak out or distinctly; to utter, as words or syllables; to speak with the proper sound and accent as, adults rarely learn to pronounce a foreign language correctly.
- to utter officially or solemnly; to deliver, as a decree or sentence; as, to pronounce sentence of death.
- to speak or utter rhetorically; to deliver; to recite; as, to pronounce an oration.
- to declare or affirm; as, he pronounced the book to be a libel; he pronounced the act to be a fraud.
as intransitive verb
- to give a pronunciation; to articulate; as, to pronounce faultlessly.
- to make declaration; to utter on opinion; to speak with confidence.
- pronouncement; declaration; pronunciation.