Definition and Meanings for pure
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Pure is ranked 2,432 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of pure
adjective, comparative, superlative
Etymology of pure
Meaning of pure
as adjective, comparative, superlative
- separate from all heterogeneous or extraneous matter; free from mixture or combination; clean; mere; simple; unmixed; as, pure water; pure clay; pure air; pure compassion.
- free from moral defilement or quilt; hence, innocent; guileless; chaste; -- applied to persons.
- free from that which harms, vitiates, weakens, or pollutes; genuine; real; perfect; -- applied to things and actions.
- ritually clean; fitted for holy services.
- of a single, simple sound or tone; -- said of some vowels and the unaspirated consonants.