Definition and Meanings for question
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Question is ranked 1,960 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of question
noun, intransitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, transitive verb
Etymology of question
Meaning of question
as noun, noun
- the act of asking; interrogation; inquiry; as, to examine by question and answer.
- discussion; debate; hence, objection; dispute; doubt; as, the story is true beyond question; he obeyed without question.
- examination with reference to a decisive result; investigation; specifically, a judicial or official investigation; also, examination under torture.
- that which is asked; inquiry; interrogatory; query.
- hence, a subject of investigation, examination, or debate; theme of inquiry; matter to be inquired into; as, a delicate or doubtful question.
- talk; conversation; speech; speech.
as intransitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, noun
- to ask questions; to inquire.
- to argue; to converse; to dispute.
as transitive verb
- to inquire of by asking questions; to examine by interrogatories; as, to question a witness.
- to doubt of; to be uncertain of; to query.
- to raise a question about; to call in question; to make objection to.
- to talk to; to converse with.