Definition and Meanings for raw
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Raw is ranked 2,800 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of raw
adjective, comparative, superlative, noun
Etymology of raw
Meaning of raw
as adjective, comparative, superlative
- not altered from its natural state; not prepared by the action of heat; as, raw sienna;;not cooked; not changed by heat to a state suitable for eating; not done; as, raw meat.
- hence: unprepared for use or enjoyment; immature; unripe; unseasoned; inexperienced; unpracticed; untried; as, raw soldiers; a raw recruit.
- not worked in due form; in the natural state; untouched by art; unwrought.;not distilled; as, raw water.;not spun or twisted; as, raw silk or cotton.;not mixed or diluted; as, raw spirits.;not tried; not melted and strained; as, raw tallow.;not tanned; as, raw hides.;not trimmed, covered, or folded under; as, the raw edge of a piece of metal or of cloth.
- not covered; bare.;bald.;deprived of skin; galled; as, a raw sore.;sore, as if by being galled.
- disagreeably damp or cold; chilly; bleak; as, a raw wind.
- a raw, sore, or galled place; a sensitive spot; as, to touch one on the raw.