Definition and Meanings for rugged
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Rugged is ranked 7,104 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of rugged
adjective, noun, adverb
Etymology of rugged
Meaning of rugged
as adjective, noun
- full of asperities on the surface; broken into sharp or irregular points, or otherwise uneven; not smooth; rough; as, a rugged mountain; a rugged road.
- not neat or regular; uneven.
- rough with bristles or hair; shaggy.
- harsh; hard; crabbed; austere; -- said of temper, character, and the like, or of persons.
- stormy; turbulent; tempestuous; rude.
- rough to the ear; harsh; grating; -- said of sound, style, and the like.
- sour; surly; frowning; wrinkled; -- said of looks, etc.
- violent; rude; boisterrous; -- said of conduct, manners, etc.
- vigorous; robust; hardy; -- said of health, physique, etc.