Definition and Meanings for safe
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Safe is ranked 36,457 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of safe
adjective, comparative, superlative, noun, transitive verb
Etymology of safe
Meaning of safe
as adjective, comparative, superlative
- free from harm, injury, or risk; untouched or unthreatened by danger or injury; unharmed; unhurt; secure; whole; as, safe from disease; safe from storms; safe from foes.
- conferring safety; securing from harm; not exposing to danger; confining securely; to be relied upon; not dangerous; as, a safe harbor; a safe bridge, etc.
- incapable of doing harm; no longer dangerous; in secure care or custody; as, the prisoner is safe.
- a place for keeping things in safety.;a strong and fireproof receptacle (as a movable chest of steel, etc., or a closet or vault of brickwork) for containing money, valuable papers, or the like.;a ventilated or refrigerated chest or closet for securing provisions from noxious animals or insects.
as transitive verb
- to render safe; to make right.