Definition and Meanings for sanguine
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Sanguine is ranked 17,702 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of sanguine
adjective, noun, transitive verb
Etymology of sanguine
Meaning of sanguine
- having the color of blood; red.
- characterized by abundance and active circulation of blood; as, a sanguine bodily temperament.
- warm; ardent; as, a sanguine temper.
- anticipating the best; cheerfully optimistic; not desponding; confident; full of hope; as, sanguine of success; a sanguine disposition.
- blood color; red.
- anything of a blood-red color, as cloth.
- red crayon. see the note under crayon, 1.
as transitive verb
- to stain with blood; to impart the color of blood to; to ensanguine.