Definition and Meanings for scalding
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Scalding is ranked 45,003 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of scalding
transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, noun, adjective
Etymology of scalding
Meaning of scalding
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to burn with hot liquid or steam; to pain or injure by contact with, or immersion in, any hot fluid; as, to scald the hand.
- to expose to a boiling or violent heat over a fire, or in hot water or other liquor; as, to scald milk or meat.
- a burn, or injury to the skin or flesh, by some hot liquid, or by steam.
- affected with the scab; scabby.
- scurvy; paltry; as, scald rhymers.
- scurf on the head. see scall.
- one of the ancient scandinavian poets and historiographers; a reciter and singer of heroic poems, eulogies, etc., among the norsemen; more rarely, a bard of any of the ancient teutonic tribes.