Definition and Meanings for scourge
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Scourge is ranked 42,226 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of scourge
noun, transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
Etymology of scourge
Meaning of scourge
- a lash; a strap or cord; especially, a lash used to inflict pain or punishment; an instrument of punishment or discipline; a whip.
- hence, a means of inflicting punishment, vengeance, or suffering; an infliction of affliction; a punishment.
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, noun
- to whip severely; to lash.
- to punish with severity; to chastise; to afflict, as for sins or faults, and with the purpose of correction.
- to harass or afflict severely.