Definition and Meanings for separate
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Separate is ranked 36,124 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of separate
transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, intransitive verb, participial adjective, adverb, noun
Etymology of separate
Meaning of separate
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to disunite; to divide; to disconnect; to sever; to part in any manner.
- to come between; to keep apart by occupying the space between; to lie between; as, the mediterranean sea separates europe and africa.
- to set apart; to select from among others, as for a special use or service.
as intransitive verb
- to part; to become disunited; to be disconnected; to withdraw from one another; as, the family separated.
as participial adjective
- divided from another or others; disjoined; disconnected; separated; -- said of things once connected.
- unconnected; not united or associated; distinct; -- said of things that have not been connected.
- disunited from the body; disembodied; as, a separate spirit; the separate state of souls.