Definition and Meanings for settlement
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Settlement is ranked 2,180 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of settlement
Meaning of settlement
- the act of setting, or the state of being settled.
- establishment in life, in business, condition, etc.; ordination or installation as pastor.
- the act of peopling, or state of being peopled; act of planting, as a colony; colonization; occupation by settlers; as, the settlement of a new country.
- the act or process of adjusting or determining; composure of doubts or differences; pacification; liquidation of accounts; arrangement; adjustment; as, settlement of a controversy, of accounts, etc.
- bestowal, or giving possession, under legal sanction; the act of giving or conferring anything in a formal and permanent manner.
- a disposition of property for the benefit of some person or persons, usually through the medium of trustees, and for the benefit of a wife, children, or other relatives; jointure granted to a wife, or the act of granting it.
- that which settles, or is settled, established, or fixed.
- matter that subsides; settlings; sediment; lees; dregs.
- a colony newly established; a place or region newly settled; as, settlement in the west.
- that which is bestowed formally and permanently; the sum secured to a person; especially, a jointure made to a woman at her marriage; also, in the united states, a sum of money or other property formerly granted to a pastor in additional to his salary.
- the gradual sinking of a building, whether by the yielding of the ground under the foundation, or by the compression of the joints or the material.;fractures or dislocations caused by settlement.
- a settled place of abode; residence; a right growing out of residence; legal residence or establishment of a person in a particular parish or town, which entitles him to maintenance if a pauper, and subjects the parish or town to his support.