Definition and Meanings for sever
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Sever is ranked 9,142 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of sever
transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, intransitive verb
Etymology of sever
Meaning of sever
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to separate, as one from another; to cut off from something; to divide; to part in any way, especially by violence, as by cutting, rending, etc.; as, to sever the head from the body.
- to cut or break open or apart; to divide into parts; to cut through; to disjoin; as, to sever the arm or leg.
- to keep distinct or apart; to except; to exempt.
- to disunite; to disconnect; to terminate; as, to sever an estate in joint tenancy.
as intransitive verb
- to suffer disjunction; to be parted, or rent asunder; to be separated; to part; to separate.
- to make a separation or distinction; to distinguish.