Definition and Meanings for shelter
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Shelter is ranked 8,395 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of shelter
noun, transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, intransitive verb
Etymology of shelter
Meaning of shelter
as noun, noun
- that which covers or defends from injury or annoyance; a protection; a screen.
- one who protects; a guardian; a defender.
- the state of being covered and protected; protection; security.
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to be a shelter for; to provide with a shelter; to cover from injury or annoyance; to shield; to protect.
- to screen or cover from notice; to disguise.
- to betake to cover, or to a safe place; -- used reflexively.
as intransitive verb
- to take shelter.