Definition and Meanings for shorten
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Shorten is ranked 7,711 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of shorten
transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, adjective, intransitive verb
Etymology of shorten
Meaning of shorten
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, adjective
- to make short or shorter in measure, extent, or time; as, to shorten distance; to shorten a road; to shorten days of calamity.
- to reduce or diminish in amount, quantity, or extent; to lessen; to abridge; to curtail; to contract; as, to shorten work, an allowance of food, etc.
- to make deficient (as to); to deprive; -- with of.
- to make short or friable, as pastry, with butter, lard, pot liquor, or the like.
as intransitive verb
- to become short or shorter; as, the day shortens in northern latitudes from june to december; a metallic rod shortens by cold.