Definition and Meanings for silent
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Silent is ranked 2,173 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of silent
Etymology of silent
Meaning of silent
- free from sound or noise; absolutely still; perfectly quiet.
- not speaking; indisposed to talk; speechless; mute; taciturn; not loquacious; not talkative.
- keeping at rest; inactive; calm; undisturbed; as, the wind is silent.
- not pronounced; having no sound; quiescent; as, e is silent in
- having no effect; not operating; inefficient.
- that which is silent; a time of silence.