Definition and Meanings for simple
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Simple is ranked 56,526 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of simple
adjective, comparative, superlative, noun, intransitive verb
Etymology of simple
Meaning of simple
as adjective, comparative, superlative, adjective, adjective
- single; not complex; not infolded or entangled; uncombined; not compounded; not blended with something else; not complicated; as, a simple substance; a simple idea; a simple sound; a simple machine; a simple problem; simple tasks.
- plain; unadorned; as, simple dress.
- mere; not other than; being only.
- not given to artifice, stratagem, or duplicity; undesigning; sincere; true.
- artless in manner; unaffected; unconstrained; natural; inartificial;; straightforward.
- direct; clear; intelligible; not abstruse or enigmatical; as, a simple statement; simple language.
- weak in intellect; not wise or sagacious; of but moderate understanding or attainments; hence, foolish; silly.
- not luxurious; without much variety; plain; as, a simple diet; a simple way of living.
- humble; lowly; undistinguished.
- without subdivisions; entire; as, a simple stem; a simple leaf.
- not capable of being decomposed into anything more simple or ultimate by any means at present known; elementary; thus, atoms are regarded as simple bodies. cf. ultimate, a.
- consisting of a single individual or zooid; as, a simple ascidian; -- opposed to compound.
as noun, adjective
- something not mixed or compounded.
- a medicinal plant; -- so called because each vegetable was supposed to possess its particular virtue, and therefore to constitute a simple remedy.
- a drawloom.;a part of the apparatus for raising the heddles of a drawloom.
- a feast which is not a double or a semidouble.
as intransitive verb
- to gather simples, or medicinal plants.