Definition and Meanings for small
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Small is ranked 24,517 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of small
adjective, comparative, superlative, adverb, noun, transitive verb
Etymology of small
Meaning of small
as adjective, comparative, superlative
- having little size, compared with other things of the same kind; little in quantity or degree; diminutive; not large or extended in dimension; not great; not much; inconsiderable; as, a small man; a small river.
- being of slight consequence; feeble in influence or importance; unimportant; trivial; insignificant; as, a small fault; a small business.
- envincing little worth or ability; not large-minded; -- sometimes, in reproach, paltry; mean.
- not prolonged in duration; not extended in time; short; as, after a small space.
- weak; slender; fine; gentle; soft; not loud.
- in or to small extent, quantity, or degree; little; slightly.
- not loudly; faintly; timidly.
- the small or slender part of a thing; as, the small of the leg or of the back.
- same as little go. see under little, a.
as transitive verb
- to make little or less.