Definition and Meanings for smoothes
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Smoothes is ranked 6,063 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of smoothes
adjective, comparative, superlative, adverb, noun, transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, intransitive verb
Etymology of smoothes
Meaning of smoothes
as adjective, comparative, superlative
- having an even surface, or a surface so even that no roughness or points can be perceived by the touch; not rough; as, smooth glass; smooth porcelain.
- evenly spread or arranged; sleek; as, smooth hair.
- gently flowing; moving equably; not ruffled or obstructed; as, a smooth stream.
- flowing or uttered without check, obstruction, or hesitation; not harsh; voluble; even; fluent.
- bland; mild; smoothing; fattering.
- causing no resistance to a body sliding along its surface; frictionless.
- the act of making smooth; a stroke which smooths.
- that which is smooth; the smooth part of anything.
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, adjective
- to make smooth; to make even on the surface by any means; as, to smooth a board with a plane; to smooth cloth with an iron.
- to free from obstruction; to make easy.
- to free from harshness; to make flowing.
- to palliate; to gloze; as, to smooth over a fault.
- to give a smooth or calm appearance to.
- to ease; to regulate.
as intransitive verb
- to flatter; to use blandishment.