Definition and Meanings for spot
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Spot is ranked 2,905 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of spot
noun, transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, intransitive verb, adjective
Etymology of spot
Meaning of spot
- a mark on a substance or body made by foreign matter; a blot; a place discolored.
- a stain on character or reputation; something that soils purity; disgrace; reproach; fault; blemish.
- a small part of a different color from the main part, or from the ground upon which it is; as, the spots of a leopard; the spots on a playing card.
- a small extent of space; a place; any particular place.
- a variety of the common domestic pigeon, so called from a spot on its head just above its beak.
- a sciaenoid food fish (liostomus xanthurus) of the atlantic coast of the united states. it has a black spot behind the shoulders and fifteen oblique dark bars on the sides. called also goody, lafayette, masooka, and old wife.;the southern redfish, or red horse, which has a spot on each side at the base of the tail. see redfish.
- commodities, as merchandise and cotton, sold for immediate delivery.
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to make visible marks upon with some foreign matter; to discolor in or with spots; to stain; to cover with spots or figures; as, to spot a garment; to spot paper.
- to mark or note so as to insure recognition; to recognize; to detect; as, to spot a criminal.
- to stain; to blemish; to taint; to disgrace; to tarnish, as reputation; to asperse.
as intransitive verb
- to become stained with spots.
- lit., being on the spot, or place;;on hand for immediate delivery after sale; -- said of commodities; as, spot wheat.