Definition and Meanings for suffer
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Suffer is ranked 1,100 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of suffer
transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, intransitive verb
Etymology of suffer
Meaning of suffer
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to feel, or endure, with pain, annoyance, etc.; to submit to with distress or grief; to undergo; as, to suffer pain of body, or grief of mind.
- to endure or undergo without sinking; to support; to sustain; to bear up under.
- to undergo; to be affected by; to sustain; to experience; as, most substances suffer a change when long exposed to air and moisture; to suffer loss or damage.
- to allow; to permit; not to forbid or hinder; to tolerate.
as intransitive verb
- to feel or undergo pain of body or mind; to bear what is inconvenient; as, we suffer from pain, sickness, or sorrow; we suffer with anxiety.
- to undergo punishment; specifically, to undergo the penalty of death.
- to be injured; to sustain loss or damage.