Definition and Meanings for sun
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Sun is ranked 24,320 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of sun
noun, transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
Etymology of sun
Meaning of sun
- see sunn.
- the luminous orb, the light of which constitutes day, and its absence night; the central body round which the earth and planets revolve, by which they are held in their orbits, and from which they receive light and heat. its mean distance from the earth is about 92,500,000 miles, and its diameter about 860,000.
- any heavenly body which forms the center of a system of orbs.
- the direct light or warmth of the sun; sunshine.
- that which resembles the sun, as in splendor or importance; any source of light, warmth, or animation.
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to expose to the sun's rays; to warm or dry in the sun; as, to sun cloth; to sun grain.