Definition and Meanings for survey
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Survey is ranked 3,730 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of survey
transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, noun
Etymology of survey
Meaning of survey
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to inspect, or take a view of; to view with attention, as from a high place; to overlook; as, to stand on a hill, and survey the surrounding country.
- to view with a scrutinizing eye; to examine.
- to examine with reference to condition, situation, value, etc.; to examine and ascertain the state of; as, to survey a building in order to determine its value and exposure to loss by fire.
- to determine the form, extent, position, etc., of, as a tract of land, a coast, harbor, or the like, by means of linear and angular measurments, and the application of the principles of geometry and trigonometry; as, to survey land or a coast.
- to examine and ascertain, as the boundaries and royalties of a manor, the tenure of the tenants, and the rent and value of the same.
- the act of surveying; a general view, as from above.
- a particular view; an examination, especially an official examination, of all the parts or particulars of a thing, with a design to ascertain the condition, quantity, or quality; as, a survey of the stores of a ship; a survey of roads and bridges; a survey of buildings.
- the operation of finding the contour, dimensions, position, or other particulars of, as any part of the earth's surface, whether land or water; also, a measured plan and description of any portion of country, or of a road or line through it.