Definition and Meanings for sweeten
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Sweeten is ranked 15,244 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of sweeten
transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, adjective, intransitive verb
Etymology of sweeten
Meaning of sweeten
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, adjective
- to make sweet to the taste; as, to sweeten tea.
- to make pleasing or grateful to the mind or feelings; as, to sweeten life; to sweeten friendship.
- to make mild or kind; to soften; as, to sweeten the temper.
- to make less painful or laborious; to relieve; as, to sweeten the cares of life.
- to soften to the eye; to make delicate.
- to make pure and salubrious by destroying noxious matter; as, to sweeten rooms or apartments that have been infected; to sweeten the air.
- to make warm and fertile; -- opposed to sour; as, to dry and sweeten soils.
- to restore to purity; to free from taint; as, to sweeten water, butter, or meat.
as intransitive verb
- to become sweet.