Definition and Meanings for tell
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Tell is ranked 103 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of tell
transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, intransitive verb, noun
Etymology of tell
Meaning of tell
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to mention one by one, or piece by piece; to recount; to enumerate; to reckon; to number; to count; as, to tell money.
- to utter or recite in detail; to give an account of; to narrate.
- to make known; to publish; to disclose; to divulge.
- to give instruction to; to make report to; to acquaint; to teach; to inform.
- to order; to request; to command.
- to discern so as to report; to ascertain by observing; to find out; to discover; as, i can not tell where one color ends and the other begins.
- to make account of; to regard; to reckon; to value; to estimate.
as intransitive verb
- to give an account; to make report.
- to take effect; to produce a marked effect; as, every shot tells; every expression tells.
- that which is told; tale; account.
- a hill or mound.