Definition and Meanings for tile
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Tile is ranked 25,698 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of tile
transitive verb, noun, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
Etymology of tile
Meaning of tile
as transitive verb
- to protect from the intrusion of the uninitiated; as, to tile a masonic lodge.
- a plate, or thin piece, of baked clay, used for covering the roofs of buildings, for floors, for drains, and often for ornamental mantel works.
- a small slab of marble or other material used for flooring.;a plate of metal used for roofing.
- a small, flat piece of dried earth or earthenware, used to cover vessels in which metals are fused.
- a draintile.
- a stiff hat.
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to cover with tiles; as, to tile a house.
- fig.: to cover, as if with tiles.