Definition and Meanings for trade
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Trade is ranked 2,356 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of trade
noun, verb, intransitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, transitive verb
Etymology of trade
Meaning of trade
as noun, noun, verb
- a track; a trail; a way; a path; also, passage; travel; resort.
- course; custom; practice; occupation; employment.
- business of any kind; matter of mutual consideration; affair; dealing.
- specifically: the act or business of exchanging commodities by barter, or by buying and selling for money; commerce; traffic; barter.
- the business which a person has learned, and which he engages in, for procuring subsistence, or for profit; occupation; especially, mechanical employment as distinguished from the liberal arts, the learned professions, and agriculture; as, we speak of the trade of a smith, of a carpenter, or mason, but not now of the trade of a farmer, or a lawyer, or a physician.
- instruments of any occupation.
- a company of men engaged in the same occupation; thus, booksellers and publishers speak of the customs of the trade, and are collectively designated as the trade.
- the trade winds.
- refuse or rubbish from a mine.
as intransitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to barter, or to buy and sell; to be engaged in the exchange, purchase, or sale of goods, wares, merchandise, or anything else; to traffic; to bargain; to carry on commerce as a business.
- to buy and sell or exchange property in a single instance.
- to have dealings; to be concerned or associated; -- usually followed by with.
as transitive verb
- to sell or exchange in commerce; to barter.
- imp. of tread.