Definition and Meanings for understand
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Understand is ranked 320 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of understand
transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, intransitive verb
Etymology of understand
Meaning of understand
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to have just and adequate ideas of; to apprehended the meaning or intention of; to have knowledge of; to comprehend; to know; as, to understand a problem in euclid; to understand a proposition or a declaration; the court understands the advocate or his argument; to understand the sacred oracles; to understand a nod or a wink.
- to be apprised, or have information, of; to learn; to be informed of; to hear; as, i understand that congress has passed the bill.
- to recognize or hold as being or signifying; to suppose to mean; to interpret; to explain.
- to mean without expressing; to imply tacitly; to take for granted; to assume.
- to stand under; to support.
as intransitive verb
- to have the use of the intellectual faculties; to be an intelligent being.
- to be informed; to have or receive knowledge.