Definition and Meanings for upright
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Upright is ranked 32,053 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of upright
Etymology of upright
Meaning of upright
as adjective, adjective
- in an erect position or posture; perpendicular; vertical, or nearly vertical; pointing upward; as, an upright tree.
- morally erect; having rectitude; honest; just; as, a man upright in all his ways.
- conformable to moral rectitude.
- stretched out face upward; flat on the back.
- designating a club in which the head is approximately at a right angle with the shaft.
- something standing upright, as a piece of timber in a building. see illust. of frame.
- a tool made from a flat strip of steel with chisel edges at both ends, bent into horseshoe, the opening between the cutting edges being adjustable, used for reducing splits to skeins. called in full upright shave.
- the vertical part of a goalpost, especially the part above the horizontal bar; as, a field goal directly between the uprights.