Definition and Meanings for white
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
White is ranked 301 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of white
adjective, comparative, superlative, noun, transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
Etymology of white
Meaning of white
as adjective, comparative, superlative
- reflecting to the eye all the rays of the spectrum combined; not tinted with any of the proper colors or their mixtures; having the color of pure snow; snowy; -- the opposite of black or dark; as, white paper; a white skin.
- destitute of color, as in the cheeks, or of the tinge of blood color; pale; pallid; as, white with fear.
- having the color of purity; free from spot or blemish, or from guilt or pollution; innocent; pure.
- gray, as from age; having silvery hair; hoary.
- characterized by freedom from that which disturbs, and the like; fortunate; happy; favorable.
- regarded with especial favor; favorite; darling.
as noun, noun
- the color of pure snow; one of the natural colors of bodies, yet not strictly a color, but a composition of all colors; the opposite of black; whiteness. see the note under color, n., 1.
- something having the color of snow; something white, or nearly so; as, the white of the eye.
- specifically, the central part of the butt in archery, which was formerly painted white; the center of a mark at which a missile is shot.
- a person with a white skin; a member of the white, or caucasian, races of men.
- a white pigment; as, venice white.
- any one of numerous species of butterflies belonging to pieris, and allied genera in which the color is usually white. see cabbage butterfly, under cabbage.
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to make white; to whiten; to whitewash; to bleach.