Definition and Meanings for wither
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Wither is ranked 12,225 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of wither
intransitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, verb, noun, transitive verb
Etymology of wither
Meaning of wither
as intransitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, verb, noun
- to fade; to lose freshness; to become sapless; to become sapless; to dry or shrivel up.
- to lose or want animal moisture; to waste; to pin
- to lose vigor or power; to languish; to pass away.
as transitive verb
- to cause to fade, and become dry.
- to cause to shrink, wrinkle, or decay, for want of animal moisture.
- to cause to languish, perish, or pass away; to blight; as, a reputation withered by calumny.